(Vaughan, ON) March 5, 2019 – Harley-Davidson is displaying the highly anticipated 2020 LiveWire™ along with three lightweight EV future concepts at the Geneva International Motor Show. In addition to updated production specifications for LiveWire, the company announced that deliveries can be expected in Q4 2019 in most European countries and Canada. U.S. pre-orders are open now.
Today, Harley-Davidson announced final production-verified performance figures for LiveWire:
· 0 to 60 mph in 3.0 seconds and 60 to 80 mph in 1.9 seconds
· 140 miles (225 km) of city range or 88 miles (142 km) of combined stop-and-go and highway range as measured using the MIC City and MIC Combined (70mph) tests*
· Standard DC Fast Charge technology which provides a 0-80% of battery charge in 40 minutes or 0-100% in 60 minutes.
Harley-Davidson is showcasing two lightweight electrified future concepts recently displayed at CES, along with a new prototype Harley-Davidson- branded two-wheeled electric bike for kids. The new bike is the result of the recently reported acquisition of substantially all the assets of StaCyc, Inc., and further expands Harley-Davidson’s electric portfolio to include electric two-wheelers for young children ages 3 and older, and less than 75 lbs.
“The LiveWire is the apex in a new era of EV propulsion from Harley-Davidson. As leaders in the electrification of motorcycling, we’re fulfilling our commitment by offering a full range of e-two-wheelers for the youngest of riders, all the way to the rider who is looking for a premium, high-performance EV experience,” said Marc McAllister Vice President Product Planning and Portfolio.
Harley-Davidson’s electric motorcycle portfolio is a significant part of the More Roads to Harley-Davidson plan to accelerate building the next generation of riders through new products in additional motorcycle segments, broader access and a commitment to strengthen dealers globally.
An All-New EV Riding Experience
Accessible to new motorcyclists and a thrill for accomplished riders, the LiveWire motorcycle is the perfect combination of power, performance and technology. Features include:
● Performance and range optimized for the urban street-rider: The high-voltage battery provides 140 miles (225 km) of city range or 88 miles (142 km) of combined stop-and-go and highway range as measured using the J2982 Riding Range Test Procedure MIC City and MIC Combined (70mph) tests*. A DC Fast Charge (DCFC) may be used to charge the LiveWire™ motorcycle through a SAE J1772 connector (CCS2 – IEC type 2 charging connector in European and some other international markets). All Harley-Davidson dealers who sell the LiveWire™ motorcycle will offer a public DCFC charging station. DCFC can provide a 0-80% of battery capacity in 40 minutes or 0-100% in 60 minutes.
● Amazing acceleration: from 0 to 60 mph in 3.0 seconds and 60-80 in 1.9 seconds. The instant torque provided by the H-D Revelation™ electric powertrain can produce 100 percent of its rated torque once the throttle is twisted, and 100 percent of that torque is always available. Top speed is 110mph.
● Twist-and-go ease of use: Livewire’s electric powertrain requires no clutch and no gear shifting, greatly simplifying operation for new riders. All riders will appreciate the braking effect of the power regeneration mode as it adds charge to the battery, especially in stop-and-go urban traffic.
● Handling and control: The LiveWire motorcycle is equipped with an Electronic Chassis Control (ECC) system that utilizes the cornering-enhanced Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS) and Drag-Torque Slip Control System (DSCS) to monitor and manage front and rear brake torque as well as motor torque to the rear wheel to enhance rider control and balance vehicle performance across diverse riding environments. The system is fully electronic and utilizes the latest six-axis inertial measurement unit (IMU) and ABS sensor technology. The separate functions of ECC work together to give the rider more confidence and control in less-than-ideal situations.
● H-D™ Connect Service: Subject to available markets, the LiveWire is equipped with H-D™ Connect, which pairs motorcycle riders with their bikes through an LTE-enabled Telematics Control Unit coupled with connectivity and cloud services using the latest version of the Harley-Davidson™ Mobile App. With H-D Connect, data is collected and transferred to the mobile app to provide information to the rider’s smartphone about:
○ Motorcycle status: Information available through H-D Connect includes battery charge status and available range from any location where a sufficient cellular signal is available. This allows the rider to remotely check the charge status including charge level and time to completion. Riders will be able to locate a charging station with ease thanks to an integrated location finder built into the H-D App.
○ Tamper alerts and vehicle location: H-D Connect indicates the location of the parked LiveWire motorcycle and alerts can be sent to the rider’s smartphone if the bike is tampered with or moved. GPS-enabled stolen-vehicle tracking provides peace of mind that the motorcycle’s location can be tracked.**
○ Service reminders and notifications: Reminders about upcoming vehicle service requirements, automated service reminders and other vehicle care notifications.
● Premium Components: Premium high-performance SHOWA® BFRC™ (Balanced Free Rear Cushion-lite) mono-shock rear suspension is fully adjustable and designed to deliver a comfortable ride and precise handling. Premium SHOWA® SFF-BP® (Separate Function front Fork-Big Piston) match the performance and adjustability of the rear shock and deliver exceptional low-speed damping control – ideal for composed control in typical urban riding conditions. Brembo® Monoblock front brake calipers grip dual 300 mm-diameter rotors and deliver outstanding power with a crisp feel for confident braking performance.
● Distinctive Harley-Davidson sound, minimal vibration: The H-D Revelation electric powertrain produces minimal vibration, heat, and noise, all of which enhance rider comfort. The LiveWire model is designed to produce a new signature Harley-Davidson sound as it accelerates and gains speed. This new futuristic sound represents the smooth, electric power of the LiveWire motorcycle.
Tuesday, 05 March 2019 11:28 Published in News
Aspen (January 28, 2019) – Harley-Davidson, the company that has defined the motorcycle industry for the past 116 years, introduced two new electric concepts showcasing the excitement and style of the future at X Games Aspen 2019.
Following the recently revealed LivewireTM motorcycle, these two concepts look towards a new electrified chapter of Harley-Davidson’s story that will continue with innovative approaches to transportation and technology, wrapped in evocative styling and design.
The upcoming electric portfolio will feature a spectrum of models and price points from a few thousand dollars to Harley-Davidson’s halo electric motorcycle, the LiveWireTM at $37,250 CAD MSRP.
All-new Riding Experiences with Iconic Harley-Davidson Power
As part of the push towards a different future, these concepts explore the potential of urban mobility and two-wheeled adoption. Both concepts bring Harley-Davidson’s expertise in expressive two-wheeled experiences and push boundaries in design and technology.
• Attracting New Riders: The goal for these concepts is to not require a motorcycle license to operate and feature twist and go operation; lowering the learning curve and expanding the opportunity to riders and aspiring riders everywhere in the process.
• The Riding Experience: With an intended lightweight target for each concept, agility and maneuverability are at the core of their riding experience and ease of use. Combined with electric powertrains that provide instant acceleration, the goal is to offer a thrilling riding experience that adds emotive moments to your daily life.
• Battery design is intended to be removable and enable single-hand-carry back to an apartment or office space to charge using a charging dock that plugs into any standard household power outlet.
• Individuality in an Urban Mobility Future: The design language of these two concepts embrace their electric powerplants and put raw emotion into the equation of the future with unique silhouettes, form factors, and solutions. Making personal expression more accessible and individualized is at the very heart of our strategy to grow the next generation of Harley-Davidson riders globally and is a key component in H-D’s vision of the future of urban mobility.
Leading the Electrification of Motorcycling
In 2018, the company announced its More Roads to Harley-Davidson accelerated plan for growth. The plan includes initiatives to deliver new products in additional motorcycle segments, create broader access, and strengthen the H-D dealer network. It also boldly proclaims that Harley-Davidson will lead the electrification of motorcycling. These two new concepts are manifestations of that vision, and alongside the production 2020 LiveWireTM motorcycle, point to a broad portfolio of electric two- wheelers designed to establish the company as the leader in the electrification of mobility over the next several years and inspire new riders with new ways to ride.
For more information and updates on Harley-Davidson’s electrified future, visit Harley-Davidson.com/Electric or the brand’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram channels.
Monday, 28 January 2019 10:40 Published in Industry News
Today the all-new electric Harley-Davidson® LiveWire™ made its European debut at a press conference held at the EICMA show, Milan. During the presentation Vice President of Product Planning and Portfolio Marc McAllister revealed eagerly-awaited specification and details about the first in a portfolio of electric two-wheelers from Harley-Davidson.
Due for release in 2019 and being shown at the event as a production-ready motorcycle, LiveWire was first confirmed during the announcement of the company’s “More Roads to Harley-Davidson”. On July 30, 2018, Harley-Davidson shared plans to accelerate its strategy to build the next generation of riders globally. Leveraging core strengths in the business, brand and dealer network, the company intends to invest in opportunities that inspire increased ridership sooner and deliver sustainable growth for the future. As part this accelerated plan, Harley-Davidson intends to be the world leader in the electrification of motorcycles, and is aggressively, but wisely, investing in electric vehicle technology. Harley-Davidson is excited about the future of electric motorcycles and expect to deliver a full portfolio of electric motorcycles by 2022.
The vision behind the production LiveWire motorcycle began with Project LiveWire, revealed as a prototype in 2014 as an effort to gauge the potential of an electric-powered motorcycle as envisioned by Harley-Davidson.
Drawing from the experiences of the Project LiveWire demo tour and following an intensive development program the Harley-Davidson LiveWire model offers the rider a new, high-performance motorcycling experience. Propelled by the immediate torque of an all-electric motor, the LiveWire motorcycle is capable of astounding acceleration with just a twist of the throttle – no clutching or gear shifting required. A low centre of gravity, rigid aluminum frame and premium adjustable suspension components give the LiveWire dynamic handling. Performance and range are optimized for the urban street-rider.
The LiveWire motorcycle is powered by a permanent magnet electric motor that produces instant torque the moment that throttle is twisted– which results in incredible acceleration performance for a thrilling ride. The motor is located low in the motorcycle to lower the center of gravity and help the motorcycle handle well at all speeds and easy to control when stopped. The LiveWire model is designed to produce a tone that increases in pitch and volume with speed –a new sound that represents the smooth, electric power of the LiveWire motorcycle.
Powertrain performance is maximized by a chassis designed to deliver nimble, agile handling for confident control on urban streets and a thrilling ride on curving backroads. Combining the powertrain as a stressed member within the aluminum frame to increase rigidity, the LiveWire features premium high-performance fully adjustable Showa® suspension. The Showa®
BFRC-lite® (Balanced Free Rear Cushion-lite) mono-shock rear suspension is complimented by Showa SFF-BP® (Separate Function Fork-Big Piston®) up front, balanced to match the performance and adjustability of the rear shock and deliver exceptional low-speed damping control – ideal for composed control in typical urban riding conditions.
To improve the control and performance of the motorcycle further LiveWire is fitted with Brembo Monoblock front brake calipers gripping dual 300 mm-diameter discs to deliver outstanding power with a crisp feel for confident braking performance. Confidence when riding is enhanced with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control System (TCS) – both of which are standard features on the LiveWire model – and co-branded H-D/Michelin Scorcher tires (180mm rear/120mm front). The rider can also tailor the performance of LiveWire with seven selectable riding modes – four of which are set as standard from the factory and a further three modes that can be defined by the user.
A color touch screen TFT display (thin-film-transistor, a type of liquid-crystal display noted for high image quality and contrast) located above the handlebar offers the rider a wide range of information on a screen that’s bright and easy to read. The display unit is tilt-adjustable to afford most riders a perfect viewing angle. The TFT screen also allows the rider to access the interface for Bluetooth connectivity, navigation, music and more.
The LiveWire motorcycle features a RESS (Rechargeable Energy Storage System, or the main battery) composed of lithium-ion cells surrounded by a finned, cast-aluminum housing. The LiveWire motorcycle is also equipped with a small 12-volt lithium-ion battery that powers the lights, controls, horn and instrument display. Charging can be completed using an on-board Level 1 charger that plugs into a standard household outlet with a power cord that stores below the motorcycle seat. LiveWire can also be charged with a Level 2 and Level 3, or DC Fast Charge (DCFC), through a SAE J1772 connector, (USA), or CCS2 – IEC type 2 charging connector in international markets. All Harley-Davidson dealers who sell the LiveWire motorcycle will offer a public charging station.
The LiveWire’s style is just as stunning as the performance and follows a key Harley-Davidson styling dictum: the focus is on the motor. Just as the V-Twin engine is the most eye-catching element – the crown jewel – of every previous Harley-Davidson motorcycle, the electric motor is the first-look focus of the LiveWire motorcycle. Its bright case and mechanical, muscular shape are meant to convey the power it contains. In addition, the cast-aluminum case for the RESS has been styled with functional cooling fins. The bodywork, finished utilizing advanced paint technology to give the look of anodized metal, flows from a battery cover through to a high, wasp-like contoured tail section, with a rear fender that hugs the wheel so tightly that is almost disappears from sight.
The all-new Harley-Davidson LiveWire will be on sale next year, and further details regarding pricing and pre-order process will be released in January 2019. Please visit h-d.com for more details.
Tuesday, 06 November 2018 17:17 Published in Industry News
TORONTO, October 29, 2018 – The all-new electric Harley-Davidson® LiveWire™ will make its European debut at EICMA, Milan on November 6, 2018. The first public viewing of the electric-powered LiveWire™ in Europe will give show visitors the chance to get up close to the production-ready motorcycle – previously only seen in prototype format.
On sale in 2019 LiveWire™ is the first in a portfolio of electric two-wheelers from Harley-Davidson, as announced in July as part of the company’s accelerated growth strategy – “More Roads to Harley-Davidson”. This accelerated growth strategy is an aggressive multi-faceted approach to grow ridership, enter new segments and evolve the Harley-Davidson retail experience. Alongside LiveWire™ the company also announced Adventure and Streetfighter models to be launched in 2020.
EICMA 2018 is also the venue for the announcement of the 2018 Battle of the Kings global competition winner. Battle of the Kings is the world’s largest dealer custom build-off, with custom specialists in over 300 Harley-Davidson dealerships from 30 countries around the world competing for the 2018 title. Dealers were challenged to build a custom Harley-Davidson using a maximum of 50 per cent of the donor retail price as the total customization budget and utilizing the vast Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories catalogue.
Grand finalists from Thailand, Australia and Italy have been selected to be displayed on the Harley-Davidson stand with the hope of taking home the crown as the best of the best. The winner will be selected by the Harley-Davidson styling and design team and announced during the press conference at 2.50pm Tuesday November 6th.
Monday, 29 October 2018 11:46 Published in Industry News